Wednesday, August 21, 2013

A Bittersweet Ending

Well, our time in South Africa has come to an end. The VCU students are now back in the US, and I'm willing to bet that things are much less hectic now for the UKZN students and faculty. However, before we left we were fortunate to have the last few days off to enjoy our time in Durban with each other. I think I speak for the group when I say we made the most of every minute!

My incredible team at the Kenneth Gardens Community Hall.
 I already miss seeing these faces every day...

Being our usual goofy selves


At the goodbye picnic in Durban Botanical Gardens

All in all, leaving Durban and all of my South African friends (and Zim friends of course- shout out to Chiedza and Showers!) was bittersweet for me. Though it's great to see my friends and family here in the States, I fell in love with South Africa and its people. For this reason, I've decided to apply for a Fulbright research grant in order to return to Durban and the Kenneth Gardens community.  The deadline for my draft research proposal is due next week, so that's how I will be spending my weekend! It's a long, arduous process to apply, but it will all be so, so worth it if I am granted the opportunity to return to my Global Bridges family in Durban. Wish me luck!

To my Global Bridges family- I miss all of you guys so much already. Good luck with the rest of the semester. I know we will see each other again! Fingers crossed it will be sooner rather than later (just now). ;)

 Love always, Lisa. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment