Tuesday, August 6, 2013

"Fortune Cookies" and Fun

This morning, Monique and Kira kicked off our meeting in a slightly unorthodox manner. Instead of jumping right into business, they passed around a jar filled with fortune-cookie like pieces of paper that contained meaningful quotes from South African authors, political leaders, and the like. Everyone at the table was instructed to pick "their fortune" and read it aloud to the group. My quote was from none other than Nelson Mandela himself. It reads: "If there are dreams about a beautiful South Africa, there are also roads that lead to their goal. Two of these roads could be named Goodness and Forgiveness."

 Reading his words and hearing advice, wisdom, and thoughtful comments from other great South African minds was an uplifting and inspiring way to start our morning. It just seemed to set a positive tone for the day that carried on through the day. Thank you, Monique and Kira. I can't think of a better way to start a Tuesday morning!

While I truly love the work we are doing here in Kenneth Gardens every day, I must admit that lunch is still one of my favorite times of the day. I try to use this hour wisely to relax, decompress, rejuvenate myself for the rest of the day's activities.....and of course, have a little fun with my VCU and UKZN friends. Today Carrie, Yende, Nomonde and I were goofing around this pole outside our campus building. Don't ask me what we were doing- all I can say is, it was all in the name of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment