Sunday, August 4, 2013

Growth

Well week two is in the books. There were plenty of ups and down, but I firmly believe the team is poised to tackle the third week with as much vigor and enthusiasm as we did the first. It is amazing how growth can occur in such a short period of time. I am learning so much about my positionality as an American, a woman, a graduate student, and African American, and more specifically, how these social identities intersect and interact with my environment in a way that significantly influences the research I conduct and the people whom I engage. These lessons haven't been easy, but necessary. The longer I am here, the more I gain from this extremely coveted opportunity. Needless to say, at the end of this week, the team and I were in need of a well-deserved reprieve.

Thank goodness for Braais (South African barbecues). The fellowship offered at this social event was so nourishing and rejuvenating. Although I do not eat meat, the spread was absolutely lovely. We danced, singed, and celebrated the life of our new found South African friend Andile. It was an absolute blast. Energy restored.


No comments:

Post a Comment